7.05.2006

 

Have a Borowitz 4th!


Humorist Andy Borowitz is on it today:

In a nationally televised Fourth of July address, President George W. Bush stunned the nation by announcing that he was declaring himself independent from the United States Constitution.

“Just as our forefathers threw off the horrible yoke of British rule on July 4, 1976, today I am throwing off the yoke of this truly annoying document,” Mr. Bush said.


You can read the rest at Andy's site, but here's my favorite line:

The president said that while he was no longer required to obey the U.S. Constitution, he still respected the Declaration of Independence, “because it has a really cool treasure map on the back.”

Comments:
Hilarious. Reminds me of the article I read last night, though - Jane Mayer's piece in the New Yorker on Cheney's chief of staff, David Addington. Adds an unpleasant frisson to Borowitz, no?

- Unblogger
 
Yes--and any time you're talking about ignoring the Constitution, I get plenty of those unpleasant frissons (like chills up my spine). You wanna laugh...and then you wanna cry, like when Al Gore was on SNL :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?