3.28.2007

 

Oversight overload? I think not.


I've been gone for quite a while, visiting my family in California, and returned to Maryland just in time for the Storm of the Century. No, it's not snow or ice that's keeping me locked indoors, but the shitstorm of oversight going on over in D.C. And brother, am I enjoying it.

I've lost track at this point of just how many committee hearings I've seen since I got back...let's see, there was the Valerie Plame one, two FBI hearings about the abuse of National Security Letters, Al Gore's global climate crisis hearing, various and sundry hearings into shady dealings at DOJ, and today the investigation of wrongdoings at the GSA. Tomorrow? More DOJ shenanigans, as Kyle Sampson testifies in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

I'm exhausted, I'm out of popcorn, and I'm getting pale. My eyes are flickering from too much C-Span (is there such a thing as C-Spanitis?). I've forgotten what exercise is. But as worn-out as I am, just think how tired Henry Waxman and Patrick Leahy are. I wonder what they eat that keeps them in fighting shape, so keen and energetic and incredibly focused? I'm pretty sure it's not Sobe Life Water and toast, which is pretty much what I've been going with.

I said I was enjoying this, and I am, but not really in a schadenfreudy way. I feel like I'm learning a ton about how our government works (or doesn't work), and that I'm watching history, live, just minutes down the road from me. I feel oddly connected, if that makes sense. I also feel angry, quite a bit, at what's been going on for the past six years, and the attitude of entitlement and the sheer smarminess of the Bushies who've been caught out.

But they're being caught out, finally, after years of a do-nothing congress, and for that I am extremely grateful. So I'd better go oil the recliner and order more popcorn, because, to paraphrase Bette Davis, it's going to be a bumpy ride. And deservedly so!

Comments:
Welcome back! fun fun fun!

Love ya, T
 
Maybe President Pantload and his pals thought that the sheer number of scandals would guarantee general apathy. Personally, I'm a amazed the whole lot of them haven't impeached and ridden out of town on a rail. I mean, people are throwing garbage at Rove's car. The military won't even clap when Bush talks to them. This is the most despised administration in history. But hey, who cares? We've got American Idol.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?